Thursday, May 20, 2004

It’s hard to plan for the future when you don’t know what will happen in the future. When any number of things could happen between now and then, both good and bad. But you have to plan for something, so why not the future you envision for yourself?

Where am I now? (Summer 2004) Age 29

I have one credit card left with $3000 in debt by the end of May. I have a decent enough day job that pays well that doesn’t seem to be in danger of going away. I have a reliable car. I have had eleven books/stories/articles accepted and/or published.

Where do you want to be in your life in one year? (Summer 2005) Age 30

I’d like to be in the position to begin my search for a house. I’d like to have sold more books/stories/articles.

Where do you want to be in your life in two years? (Summer 2006) Age 31

I’d like to take a vacation to Scotland, or go on an Irish Folklore Tour. I’d like to have sold more books, and become more successful writing-wise.

Where do you want to be in your life in three years? (Summer 2007) Age 32

I’d like to be in the position to look into fostering a child or children. I’d like to have sold more books/stories/articles, and not be wanting for money.

Where do you want to be in your life in four years? (Summer 2008) Age 33

I’d like to buy a hybrid car. I’d like to have sold more books/stories/articles and become more successful.

Where do you want to be in your life in five years? (Summer 2009) Age 34

I’d like to have a writing retreat—a cabin on some acreage somewhere in Ohio or Kentucky. I’d like to have sold more books/stories/articles, and become more successful.

Where do you want to be in your life in six years? (Summer 2010) Age 35

I’d like to win a major award for one of my books. (Preferably the World Fantasy Award.) I’d like to have sold more books/stories/articles, and become more successful.

Where do you want to be in your life in seven years? (Summer 2011) Age 36

I’d like to be in the position to be able to work part-time at a day job and full time at writing. (This incidentally, will be my tenth year anniversary of my first book acceptance.)


This is as far as I’m going to go for the moment. Seven years sounds like a long time, but it’s not, really. And I think every single one of the things on my list is achievable. I have no impossible goals here.

So… want to share yours? Email me, or leave me a comment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home